Sunday, November 16, 2008

Finding Myself

A friend of mine commented after Mother died that I'm an adult now and a member of the Orphans Club. We're both at that age where, all around us, our friends are losing parents. I went to yet another funeral just today. It was very hard because it's so close after my own mother died to have to see someone else going through this hell. It occurs to me, however, that I really AM an adult now. I don't have to "mind" anyone anymore. I don't have to be available at a moment's command. I don't have to plan anything around a parent's schedule or need. I can take off at Christmas now without feeling guilty. I can do pretty much anything now without feeling guilty about it because of displeasing a parent. 

There's a big catch to all this, of course. Now I have to figure out again what I want to be now that I've grown up. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Candace, I am very happy to have found your blog. I send my thoughts and prayers to you and your friend, after losing your mothers. There are those of us who have a biological mother alive but never really had a mother and struggle through some of the same orphaned feelings. I look forward to reading more from you and come check out my blog!